Sunday, June 5, 2011

Dulli noted.



Greg Dulli. It's been a long time, my friend. Ever since I saw the video for "Gentlemen" on 120 Minutes on MTV, I've been a member of the devout. The seedy, dark side of the street always seemed so enticing because of the straining chords and pulse-riding beat of the Afghan Whigs. The soundtrack of my youth was largely influenced by a handful of bands and of them, it was St. Gregory that taught me about shadow and musk, degradation and lust. He seemed to say: Watch out for that drinksmokedruglove. It will wear you down, boy. 

At Webster Hall on May 13, 2011 (Yes, a lucky Friday at that), I got to immerse myself in some of that Dulli charm again. I must have seen him perform a dozen times or so in the last 15 years. He's gotten a bit more...cautious. The ubiquitous cigarette gone. The stink of brown alcohol missing. A healthier, kinder Dulli? Am I ready?




I had already seen Greg play a stripped down acoustic show this year that spanned his whole career: Afghan Whigs, Twilight Singers, Gutter Twins. This show would ultimately be all about Twilight -- plugged in and mature, but still rocking it out as ever. There was definitely an emphasis on the new songs from  Dynamite Steps -- which are still growing on me. The funny thing is, a show usually isn't satisfying unless Dulli does a Whigs song, but at this point TS songs have enough history and breadth that I am pretty effin' happy to hear them all night long.


It ended up being a strangely emotional night for me. The stress of moving into our new apartment together, had me and ERL (she has opted out of Dulli shows because he said at the last concert we were at that he "didn't give a sh*t about the Yankees. Whose the biggest Yankees fan ever? ERL.) pretty exhausted. A lot of aggravation from the weeks prior also built up and I needed a release. "I'm Ready" and "Forty Dollars" had me exuberant and filled with a guttural bellow that I just needed to let loose. Releasing all that pent up stuff was much needed and the familiar rhythms of those two TS songs really let me do that.


Greg Dulli's music and lyrics not only were the background music for me through my formative years, but he's influenced me in my own work. The darker nature, film noir-esque/gangster film settings of many of Dulli's tunes have found their way into my lyrics (if you are curious, check out my website: abechangrocks.com), poetry and prose. My "mini-covers" (snippets of popular songs mixed in and sung in different keys or melodies -- to blend with original songs) that I play when I perform are a direct result of Dulli doing them first (and best). That night, he gave us some Prince, some Tom Petty, some of the Beatles, and some of the Who -- but in the context of his music.

But above all, I have to admit that he taught me that it's ok for a man with a bit of a gut..to strut a bit and kick some ass. Swagger. Dulli's still got it in spades. I love the man and would gladly buy him a beverage of his choice.

Here's Dulli and the boys doing "Teenage Wristband" at T in the Park. Pure awesome:


And for some serious nostalgia and a close Dulli moment. Check out this clip of "Candy Cane Crawl" from 2006. At around 3:40 look at the right of the screen for a bit of Abe geeking out (with buddy Eunice in tow also). I got to shake Dulli's hand at that show also:




Setlist for the show: 
 
*faves in green* 

Last Night in Town
Blackbird and the Fox 
I'm Ready
Forty Dollars
Beginning of the End 
Bonnie Brae 
She Was Stolen 
Don't Call 
Too Tough to Die 
Decatur Street 
Get Lucky 
Teenage Wristband 
Cruisin' 
Love 
Annie Mae 
Candy Cane Crawl 
Never Seen No Devil 
On the Corner 
The Killer 
Gunshots 
Esta Noche


GeekOmnivore score: Bad-ass and bourbon-y.

1 comment: