Monday, June 13, 2011

Comic story idea part 1 -- Gimme Trinity Times Two (DC Comics)

If you ask any comic book geek worth his or her salt -- they've usually got an "if I wrote a storyline, it would be about ..." idea in their back pocket.  We nerds usually fantasize about what we would want to read/see in our preferred medium (print, digital, film, TV, etc.). But, when it comes down to it, often times it's better to sit back and enjoy than actually be tasked with creating something in an industry that we love so much.

Currently, I have absolutely no aspirations to write or edit a comic book. I don't think I would want to mix the pleasure and enjoyment I get from my weekly pull with the necessity of producing a paycheck. (Now, working in another capacity for a comic book company -- that I would do in a heartbeat!) Well, if you ask me again in a few years, I might change my mind...but I'd rather see what Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Neil Gaiman, Brian K. Vaughn, Joe Hill, Brian Michael Bendis, Gail Simone, Mark Millar, Jonathan Hickman, Matt Fraction, Ed Brubaker and a slew of others I read regularly, would create.


With DC's recent announcement that they are making some serious changes and nearly starting over from scratch -- there is a lot of excitement in the air and a ton of possibilities. I'm not sure how much of DCU history will remain, but the primary essence of these characters are timeless. Who they are, their motivations, their iconic status -- the pure seeds of what makes them heroes will always be there.  So, "what would I ask my favorite comic book writer to write about?" -- here's an idea for DC Comics:

1. A real exploration of DC Comics "Trinity" or their "other Trinity"  

(**First off -- I'm not sure any idea will ever be 100% original, there will always be bits and pieces that have been done before. But what I would love to see follows the philosophy of "more of a good thing" and "new and improved." )

DC Comics have been producing weekly/bi-weekly comic book series for the past few years, nearly all of which I have thoroughly enjoyed (52, Brightest Day, and Justice League: Generation Lost, being among my favorites). But I did think that the Trinity series missed the mark. A weekly comic series about Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman and their dynamic -- that sounds like something I would love to read! Unfortunately, the Big Three were largely missing in the series and instead it focused on what might happen in their absence.

I felt that the series definitely had some promise, but it spun out of control with each passing issue. The storyline got more complex, new characters or obscure characters played major roles, and in the end -- it left me wishing it was something else entirely -- namely, an actual series about Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman. 

Batman's ultimate human perseverance formed from his damaged, fear-driven psyche + Superman's alien, physical perfection coupled with his overtly altruistic qualities + Wonder Woman's royal lineage and paradoxical mission of peace through war -- all with the added complexity of gender politics. Throw the three of them together, mix, and enjoy. 

In the past decade or so, we've seen some really well-written stories that featured these three: in Grant Morrison's JLA, Brad Meltzer's Justice League of America, Matt Wagner's Trinity, and in Bruce Timm-produced episodes of DCU Animated series -- but a monthly or weekly title focusing on the ultimate triumvirate? Done well? I'm waiting with a fistful of cold-hard cash.  (**OK, the Batman/Superman comic series had a few story lines that were classic, but I always felt that you needed Diana in the mix on a consistent basis to make things really interesting.)


Alternately, I'd love to see a series about DC's next-tier characters who have a significant amount of history, the "other Trinity": The Flash, Green Lantern, and Green Arrow.

I give credit to Mark Waid's limited series The Brave and the Bold, old school Denny O'Neil / Neal Adams goodness in Green Lantern / Green Arrow, and Kevin Smith / Brad Meltzer's run on Green Arrow for exploring the complicated friendship between Oliver Queen, Hal Jordan, and Barry Allen.

Green Arrow's hot headed, righteous indignation + Green Lantern's space cop with a cocksure attitude + The Flash's crime lab scientist who ultimately needs balance in all aspects = yesmoreplease.    

Of course, each of these characters is well-deserving of their own title that explore their rogues galleries (The Flash's being one of the best in all of comic history) and supporting cast--but I think the dynamic between the three heroes is what would make for great storytelling: team-ups conflict, bromance moments!

I cannot wait to see what DC has in store with all the new #1 issues coming out starting this summer. Will any of my geeky desires be fulfilled?

Next time: my other idea that I'd love for DC Comics to pursue.


*images  sourced from around the Web. Thank you, Internet! I love you, DC Comics! Drawing the line at $2.99!*

1 comment: