Wednesday, April 4, 2012

On the road... for new glasses!

So, I got kicked in the head.

I went to see one of my favorite bands - Hot Rod Circuit - and was surreptitiously kicked in the head when some kid took a flying leap from the stage. I was no worse for wear (and the concert was one of the best I have ever seen), but my glasses slowly deteriorated over the months until they were hanging from my head.

I needed glasses badly.

Where do you go to get cheap glasses -- especially without vision or health insurance? Well, one great option is Warby Parker.

Keroauc - sans-glasses
Named after two characters from Jack Kerouac's personal diaries -- this company makes some amazing and affordable glasses -- and they donate glasses to charity as well. One pair for every one sold. Pretty awesome. 

I went with my friend JT to their showroom near Union Square a while back and was surprised that they had since moved to the Puck Building in SoHo. ERL was in the market for some new glasses (via using some FSA funds) so we made an appointment to go check out their frames in person.

They are pretty popular, so expect a week or two to book an appointment to visit their showroom (or you can go the at-home route also). The showroom was basically their headquarters with their employees (back and front of house), some frames on the walls, and a few Macs right there to place your order.  Pretty straight forward.

Doing a little research ahead of time definitely helped and making sure I had my current prescription (thanks to Cohen Fashion Optical that has a coupon for a $20 eye exam -- I'm sure they weren't exactly happy that all I wanted was an exam, but...) here's what else  I learned:

nerd.
1. Check out the styles Warby Parker has online and bring a list of the ones you want to check out. (You'll notice the frames are named after writers, musicians, famous folks, etc. -- Miles, Langston, Huxley, et al.)
2. If you've got a giant noggin like I do -- the Larkin is a great choice (the one I ended up getting).
3. Also the three measurements (ie. 56-16-135) represent the size of the lens, width of bridge, and the length of the temple/ the-ear-piece-leg-thing) -- good to have handy.
4. If you are ordering online -- you can select 5 pairs of frames to try on at home or they have a virtual try-on tool where you can upload a photo or use one of their models to try on frames as well.
5. Be sure to have your pupil distance measured (PD) when you get your eye exam or go into the showroom to have it done. You'll need this for sure. It takes literally 10 seconds or less to do. 
6. You may need to spring for some silicone nose pads -- since the frames may slide down your nose if you don't.
nerd-lover.
7. If you have a strong prescription you will absolutely need the high index thinner lenses (extra $30) -- otherwise, you'll pay only $95 bucks for a hip pair of glasses.

My total cost breakdown:
1. Eye exam - $20
2. Frames, with high index lenses - $125
3. Silicone nose pads - $4
4. Superstrength glue to reinforce nosepads (because I sweat like a monkey) - $3

A great experience overall -- I'd definitely order from them again. Especially easy --  since they keep your prescription on file.

Are the glasses "for hipsters" or "geek chic" or "nerdy"? -- yes, yes, and yes. Do you need to see? Do you care about fashion? Do you want to save some money? -- yes, yes, and yes.

Warby Parker!  *YAAAAWWWWWP!!!*

**all images copyright their respective owners. Hey, WP - how about a discount on my next pair?**

1 comment: