Friday, December 16, 2011

So EMO-tional (again)... Part One!

The term "emo" (when it pertains to music, lifestyle, etc.) is pretty loaded. You might conjure up images of sobbing, tatted-up, gothpunk kids with spikyanime, pink hair -- or what have you. (Actually, I hear there is a  significant difference between "North American Emo" and "European Emo" -- being much more extreme). Whatever the case,  I don't want to get too into it. But for the purposes of this blog post, let's agree that "emo" was the label slapped on a bunch of rock bands I liked in the '00s.(And yes, I do think that Emily the Strange is pretty badass and adorable.)

I remember reading articles in SPIN magazine about all these newer bands that were influenced by bands that I loved like Sunny Day Real Estate, Superchunk, and the other usual suspects that I grew up with in the 90s....punk aesthetic but with a touch of "emotion". Sounded like they would be right up my alley:  Dashboard Confessional, Alkaline Trio, The Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Taking Back Sunday, My Chemical Romance, Brand New, Thursday, Thrice etc.

A decade later and some of these bands are now indie darlings (Bright Eyes, Death Cab for Cutie) and others are in stasis (Fall Out Boy), and yet others are now reuniting after breaking up... Whatever the mainstream (or Sterogum and Pitchfork sneer-ers) say about "emo" music -- for me, it marked a decade of  becoming independent, learning about the world as a young adult, and yes, having my heart broken.

Recently, I got to see two of my favorites play live...but a decade later my heart was full, my eyes were clear, and I went to see these shows with my future wife. And let me tell you, the music was familiar and comforting, but it took on a whole new perspective.


PART ONE--
November 19th at the Music Hall of Williamsburg: Hot Rod Circuit


I have a real soft spot for HRC, and not only for nostalgia's sake. I first saw them on tour with Superchunk and The Get Up Kids. At first, I was absolutely incensed that one of my fave bands of all time ('Chunk) was opening up for these fratty emo kids (GUK), but I quickly latched onto their entire discography and learned to appreciate them for what they were: loud guitars and some fun songs (tinged with "emotion"). [And yes, we got to see The Get Up Kids reunite and play live last year.] The biggest surprise for me was HRC -- the even younger upstarts--and how much I ended up loving the album they were touring behind, Sorry About Tomorrow.

The songs were supercatchy and they were about spending time with cool chicks and how that meant the world. Simple and not too deep -- and yet it was. It's one of those classic albums where every song just works.  I went back to the album repeatedly and picked up the follow-up Reality's Coming Through.

I saw them again years later at Bamboozle 2007 (a festival show that was at the Meadowlands -- I took my little brother Justin, and the day we went we got to see Muse, My Chemical Romance, Thursday-- pretty cool). They played songs off what is currently their last album The Underground Is A Dying Breed and I was...moved.

 The first time I ever heard the song "45s", it just hit me -- playing records and listening to them with an amazing girl despite the world spinning and crashing outside. That's all I ever wanted and it  seemed to be something that had alluded me for so long. *tear*  (Clip below is an acoustic solo version by Andy.)


Needless to say, their music helped me to get through (at least) two really significant break-ups. (Funny to think that the years where I suffered the most heartache were when "emo" was all the rage.) Andy Jackson, Casey Preston, and the rest of HRC just seemed to tap into something mournful, exuberant, and liberating at the same time. The pedal steel guitar, the chainsaw roar of power chords, the soaring choruses--these elements made up some serious magic.

I ended up seeing one of HRC's last shows (at the now defunct Knitting Factory in Tribeca) before they broke up later in 2007 and it was pretty amazing. I was incredibly sad that the band was going off to do their own things. I followed Andy Jackson's side projects (Safety in Numbers, Terrible Things, Death in the Park) but always hoped I'd get to hear more Hot Rod Circuit. As luck would have it -- HRC got back together for a round of reunion shows and we got to see them in November 2011.


The night of the show, I made sure that ERL and I were UP FRONT. In fact, for 90 percent of the show, we were leaning up on the stage and were within spitting distance of Andy. It was the only option--considering that I have no idea if there will be more HRC shows or music in the near (or distant) future. In any case, it was one thing for me to be completely excited to see one of my favorite bands play again--but add the fact that I got to share the experience with someone I absolutely love with all my heart--and it was transcendent.

 
We rocked out. I defended her from the flailing limbs of idiotic stage divers. She was actually worried I might get in a fight with any one of the lunkheads in the crowd. (**Fun fact -- the only time I ever really got close to throwing down at a concert was in London...at an Erasure concert. Should have been happy- gay- fun- unicorn- and- rainbows- time -- but some punter was looking to start something.**)
But the night was just pure fun from beginning to end (including openers The Front Bottoms and Cartel). 

HRC played nearly all of my favorites. We left drenched in sweat and happy (and in love...though it could have been just the adrenaline :P ). Andy high-fived us as the band left the stage. I got some amazing photos (as you can see) and had one of the best concert experiences ever.

Singing along to the songs I knew so well (going on a decade) -- the lyrics took on a whole different sheen that night. HRC provided the soundtrack for some difficult times, and I took a lot of it to heart. But with ERL right beside me, a certain kind of longing was gone. I was happy to just jump around and latch onto the melodies -- and get lost in the euphoria of watching a killer band, because I had found that one cool chick and she had found me.


Punk rock geek with my Marvel T-shirt.

These past years, I've slowly introduced ERL to HRC. I played their songs on our road trips to Rhode Island and Philly, made sure she had their whole discography on her iPod-- so in essence, they've been the soundtrack to some new, great memories. It's rare when we can agree on a band that we like (*sidenote of the bands that we mutually LOVE: The National, Alkaline Trio, Wilco ...and that might be it so far) -- so having her enjoy Hot Rod Circuit meant even that much more.


Setlist!
Check out some Hot Rod Circuit for yourself. Here are some favorite tracks: "Knees", "Cool for One Night", "Let's Go Home", "Safely", "The Pharmacist",  "Now or Never", "Save You",  "Failure", "The Best You Ever Knew", "Power of the Vitamins", "Stateside", "Battleship", "Vampire", "45's".




Here's hoping that Andy and the boys continue to make some heartfelt, kickass tunes well into the future. Rock on.


Next time: Part two: Dashboard Confessional! 

*Images sourced from the web and copyright the owners....or they are photos I took.

1 comment: