Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Oh, San Diego...

Well, it's Comic-Con week. I've got a ton of memories of going to San Diego -- priceless moments of working there and enjoying it as a fan. Unfortunately, I won't be making it over to Hall H or Ballroom 20 or the Exhibit Hall this year. Bummer.

But my past three trips to San Diego were amazing. I've had the pleasure to meet (and work with -- I was formerly employed at a publishing company --) people I really admire in the industry. I cannot say enough good things about the folks at Dark Horse. I've got some really amazing friends at DC and a ton of friends at Marvel. NBC Universal/ Sy Fy has some amazing people that I will call lifelong friends as well.

As a "fanboy" that had the great fortune and wherewithal to end up working in the entertainment industry -- I was completely and pleasantly surprised at the down-to-earthiness of professionals and celebrities that I have had the pleasure to meet. In the next few blog posts, I'll share some of my favorite memories (and awesome pics) of San Diego magic.

I'll have to call this number one:


What started out as a simple trip to the hotel bar at Comic-Con 2009, led to a geek's total dream. Done with meetings for the day, I ordered a burger and was waiting for take out at the bar. I turn to my left and I spot Morgan Spurlock. (Who has nothing against burgers in general!) Being a huge fan of Super Size Me, I had to go over and say hello.

We ended up having a drink and talked about what he was working on (turns out he was there working on his Simpsons doc) and how he had just met with Stan Lee and Joss Whedon. A geek after my own heart. Pretty amazing stuff. We hit it off and discussed ways that we could work together. 

We kept in touch after San Diego and met up a few times throughout the year with different ideas. Soon after, we managed to get a solid project to go -- the companion book to his upcoming documentary: Comic-Con Episode IV: A Fan's Hope. Executive producers on the film include: Stan Lee, Joss Whedon, (funny that he met all three of us within 24 hours...though I am pretty sure Stan and Joss were way more memorable!) Harry Knowles, and Thomas Tull.


Long story short--I spent Comic-Con 2010 working with Morgan and it was one of the best experiences of my life. I got to interview and meet celebrities (Including one of my biggest heroes! More on that in a future post.) and contributed to a book and a film project. How cool is that?

Since the film hasn't come out yet, I don't want to say too much. But Morgan does give me a nice little shout out in this Publisher's Weekly article.

I'm excited to see the film when it is released this fall. I know that Comic-Con is just so massive in the minds of the geek populace and I have full faith that Morgan will do it justice. For all of us that have made the trek, we each get something so different from the experience. I was so very lucky to have had a once-in-a-lifetime-only-at-Comic-Con week in July of 2010. And for that: thanks for the ride, Morgan. I will manhug you next time I see you.

More Comic-Con stories next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment