Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Where is the (geek) line?

 So, I've written about a lot of my geek obsessions. What I haven't mentioned is where I draw the line. Meaning: what won't I devote my energies to get to know at the "fan" level?


I have yet to write about anime (one of my great loves) and video games (love--but unfortunately, can't play at a really proficient level) -- but rest assured, I will get to those.

What I'm saying is -- where do I draw the proverbial line and say "NO, NOT THIS!"

Whether these are a product because of lack of time or lack of interest -- I cannot call myself a fanboy/geeklover of any of the below (though, I reserve my right to change):

  • I used to pride myself on not becoming a Trekkie/Trekker (whatever is the PC term) and yet -- I do love the movies and would be interested in watching the original Star Trek series and TNG
  • I have yet to see any of the new Doctor Who episodes, though I have seen some Tom Baker ones when I was a kid and was terrified of the Daleks. Will likely start watching sooner than later.
  • Somewhat fascinated by the whole MMA and UFC thing -- but my WWF and WWE love would trump that (eh, it comes and goes, but when it comes down to it I'm still a Hulkamaniac)
  • Love the Yankees and Knicks -- but can't watch every. single. game. like ahem...my loved ones. (You know who you are, you two.) And 6th grade Abe will always love the Mets.
  • No fantasy sports for me! Meh. 
  • PC RTS/RPG games-- dabbled, but never got into it.
  • Scrabble -- again, meh.
  • I can confidently say that I have never played Magic:The Gathering, Warhammer, or Dungeons and Dragons. 
  • I have no interest in participating in Live Action Role Play (LARPing), Civil War re-enactments, Renaissance Faires (mostly because Asians would look kind of silly in the last two).
  • No to cosplay.  

Any yays or nays for the list above? What should I try or avoid? 

So where do YOU draw your geek line? 

No comments:

Post a Comment